THE MOST UNDERRATED MEDICINE IN THE WORLD
Welcome back to the final post of our BEAT Fitness SHOW UP Method series! In this post, we're going to focus on the often underestimated activity that can significantly contribute to your fitness goals: walking.
It's time to discover why walking is the most underrated medicine in the world and how it can support your overall fitness journey.
THE MOST UNDERRATED MEDICINE IN THE WORLD
In a world filled with high-intensity workouts and flashy fitness trends, walking often gets overlooked. However, the truth is that walking is a powerful form of exercise that can deliver numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. It's a simple and freely accessible activity that has the potential to transform your fitness journey.
FIVE SIMPLE WALKS TO INCREASE YOUR DAILY WALKING
Morning Stroll: Kick-start your day with a refreshing walk in the park or around your neighbourhood. Enjoy the tranquillity of nature and set a positive tone for the day ahead.
Lunchtime Loop: Instead of eating at your desk, take a break and go for a brisk walk during your lunch hour. Not only will it enhance digestion, but it will also provide a much-needed mental reset.
Walking Meetings: Whenever possible, suggest walking meetings with colleagues or friends. Combining business or social interactions with physical activity is a great way to maximise your time and improve your fitness.
Family Outing: Involve your loved ones by organising family walks. Spend quality time together while promoting a healthy lifestyle for everyone.
Nighttime Wind-Down: Wrap up your day with a calming evening walk. Reflect on the day's events and allow your mind to unwind before bed.
Ever noticed the Mediterranean culture of walking after eating?
WALKING AFTER YOU EAT: BOOSTING METABOLISM AND REDUCING STRESS
Did you know that going for a walk after a meal can have a positive impact on your metabolism and stress levels? Walking aids digestion and helps regulate blood sugar levels, preventing post-meal slumps. Additionally, this gentle exercise releases endorphins, which are natural mood boosters, reducing stress and promoting a sense of well-being.
FIVE BENEFITS OF WALKING FOR YOUR PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH
- Improved mood and enhanced mental well-being with reduced stress levels: especially if you can walk outside and embrace both the sun and singing in the rain
- Eases joint pain by strengthening muscles and improving joint flexibility (there you go low back pain !)
- Weight management (reduced cravings) and NEAT calorie burning.
- Boosted immune system (less flu, more *add anything you like to do*)
- Reduced risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer
SCIENTIFIC STUDY SPOTLIGHT: WALKING AND CHRONIC DISEASE
A study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine found that regular walking can be as effective as high-intensity workouts for reducing the risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. The research demonstrated that walking at a brisk pace for 30 minutes a day, five days a week, yielded remarkable health benefits and supported overall fitness goals.
You want more ? Walking “outdoors” is even better and also boosts the immune system (vit D), can improve your sleep quality, lessen anxiety…so, let’s go !
HOW WALKING CAN IMPROVE YOUR FITNESS
- Low-impact Cardiovascular Exercise: Walking is a low-impact aerobic exercise that gets your heart rate up and improves cardiovascular health. It increases your heart rate, strengthens your heart muscles, and improves blood circulation, all of which contribute to a healthier cardiovascular system.
- Weight Management: Walking is an effective tool for weight management. By incorporating regular walks into your routine, you can burn calories, increase your metabolism, and contribute to weight loss or maintenance. It may not be as intense as high-intensity workouts, but it can still make a significant difference when done consistently.
- Muscle Strength and Tone: Walking engages various muscle groups in your legs, hips, and core. It helps strengthen and tone these muscles, leading to improved stability and balance. You can even enhance the muscle-strengthening benefits of walking by incorporating uphill climbs or adding resistance through ankle weights or walking poles.
- Joint Health: Walking is a low-impact exercise that puts minimal stress on your joints, making it an excellent option for individuals with joint issues or those recovering from injuries. Regular walking can help improve joint flexibility, reduce stiffness, and alleviate joint pain.
- Increased Energy Levels: It may seem counterintuitive, but engaging in regular physical activity like walking can actually boost your energy levels. Walking increases oxygen flow to your muscles and brain, releases endorphins (feel-good hormones), and improves overall circulation, resulting in increased vitality and reduced fatigue.
- Improved Posture and Body Alignment: Walking with proper form and technique can help improve your posture and body alignment. It strengthens the muscles that support your spine and encourages a more upright position, reducing the risk of back and neck pain.
- Better Sleep: Regular physical activity, including walking, can have a positive impact on sleep quality. It helps regulate your body's circadian rhythm, promotes relaxation, and reduces anxiety and stress, all of which contribute to a better night's sleep.
Remember, consistency is key when it comes to walking for fitness. Start small and aim for consistency You can gradually increase the duration or intensity of your walks as you become more comfortable and fit.
KEEP IT SIMPLE
Keep it simple. You don't need fancy gadgets or step counters to incorporate walking into your routine. Just 30 minutes of walking per day can make a remarkable difference.
Breaking it down, you can aim for three brisk 10-minute walks throughout the day … or add an extra 10 minutes to your current walking routine.
It's all about taking small steps towards a healthier lifestyle.
Walking truly deserves its title as the most underrated medicine in the world. It's a simple, accessible, and effective way to support your fitness goals. Remember, you don't need expensive gadgets or complicated routines. By incorporating 30 minutes of brisk walking into your daily routine, you'll experience a multitude of physical and mental health benefits. So, put on your walking shoes and take that first step towards a healthier, fitter and happier life.
Getting and staying fit can feel like a big task.
But really it just requires that you SHOW UP every day for yourself.
Our SHOW UP Method will improve the daily habits that support your fitness goals:
HOW WE HELP
At BEAT Fitness your fitness journey starts with a Free Consultation where we find out your why, set goals and agree a plan for you to achieve your goals.
Every member at BEAT Fitness reviews those goals regularly with a coach so that we can celebrate your wins along the journey.
The first step to joining a fitness community committed to your success is to book a Free Consultation with a coach.